Hong Kong University Microbiology Professor Yuan and his research team compared 3 vaccines (Kexing, Fosun/Germany BioNTech, AstraZeneca) pre-purchased by the Hong Kong government and found that Kexing vaccine seems to be the safest and has the least side effects, but its protection time It may be relatively short. At the same time, it should be noted that the results of the third phase clinical research of Kexing Vaccine have not been published in international medical journals. It is necessary to wait until the official release to analyze its clinical protection and safety. Regarding the vaccine jointly developed by Fosun/German pharmaceutical company BioNTech, the clinical effect is relatively better than the vaccine developed by AstraZeneca and Oxford University. However, both have side effects of varying degrees, such as chills, fever, joint and muscle pain, etc. Among them, AstraZeneca may also have serious side effects, because two cases of transverse myelitis have been reported after vaccination. At the same time, Yuan Guoyong and his research team also pointed out that these three vaccines can prevent vaccinators from presenting symptoms of infection or serious complications, but they may not be able to prevent asymptomatic infections and reduce the release of viruses in the upper respiratory tract, so there is still a risk of infecting other people.
Because of so many uncertainties and concerns about the protection and safety of various vaccines, a survey shows that nearly 40% of young people refuse to receive the new crown vaccine. The group involved in the questionnaire survey [Youth New World] surveyed more than 400 young people under the age of 30 through questionnaire interviews. Less than 10% of the respondents said they would receive the new crown vaccine, while 40% of the respondents said they would not Get the new crown vaccine because of concerns about its effectiveness and safety.
The British variant virus is now spreading rapidly. The cumulative number of confirmed cases of the British variant virus in Hong Kong has reached 15 and there may be more similar cases in the future. The five newly imported cases in recent days carry the British variant virus, two of which were from Philippine and France, respectively, arrived in Hong Kong via Amsterdam. The current situation will undoubtedly have a greater impact on the community. According to reports, there have been more than 2.72 million confirmed cases in the entire UK so far, and the death toll has risen to more than 70,000, and the death rate is the highest in Europe. As for the number of global cases, it has exceeded 85.62 million, and the death toll has exceeded 1.85 million.
Now people are watching the virus continue to spread. On the one hand, they hope to get the vaccine as soon as possible. On the other hand, they also worry about the protection and safety of the vaccine. Now they have to worry about whether the vaccine is effective against the mutant virus. Should we get vaccinated in time? Which vaccine would be better? The following is a comparison table of the three vaccines pre-purchased by the Hong Kong government for your reference.
Comparison table of vaccines pre-purchased by the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region Government.
Fosun Pharma/German pharmaceutical company BioNTech
- mRNA (genetically modified spike protein nucleic acid segment)
- 95% (calculated 7 days after the second dose, N=17411)
- Data from the December 10th meeting of the Vaccine and Related Biological Products Advisory Committee (data based on documents from the National Food and Drug Administration): 84.1% injection site reaction; 62.9% fatigue; 55.1% headache; 38.3% muscle pain; 31.9% chills; 23.6% joint pain; 14.2% fever
- No report (recently, there have been reports in the United Kingdom that allergic reactions occurred after injection by doctors and nurses. Suspected of being allergic to PEG)
AstraZeneca/University of Oxford
- The non-replicating chimpanzee adenovirus (ChAdOx1) vector, insert the new coronavirus gene (including the entire spike protein)
- 70.4% (two doses, regardless of the dose; calculated at least 14 days after the second dose, N=5807); 90.0% (first dose low dose, second dose standard dose, N=1367)
- Phase I/II clinical study data (standard dose, with or without paracetamol: 70% fatigue: 68% headache; 67% injection site tenderness; 61% discomfort; 60% muscle pain; 56% chills; 31% Joint pain; 25% nausea; 25% fever at the injection site; 18% fever
- The third phase of the clinical study reported 2 cases of transverse myelitis (1 case is unknown and the other case has latent multiple sclerosis; a total of 12,021 people participated in the safety study, with an incidence rate of 0.017%)
Kexing Holdings (Hong Kong) Co., Ltd.
- Inactivated whole virus SARS-CoV-2
- The results of the third phase of clinical research have not been officially published in international medical journals
- Phase II clinical study data: injection schedule is 0/14 days (3µg): 5.05 diarrhea; 3.3% fatigue; 3.3% fever; 2.5% muscle pain. The injection schedule is 0/28 (3µg): 10.0% injection site reaction; 8.3% fatigue; 3.3% fever; 2.5% headache; 1.7% muscle pain
- No report (there was a suicide case in the third phase of clinical study in Brazil, which was not confirmed to be related to the vaccine)
Experts estimate that 7 adults in Hong Kong can be vaccinated as soon as the end of 2021. After the vaccine arrives in Hong Kong, the priority group is about 3 million people including medical staff, the elderly, chronically ill patients, elderly or disabled employees.
In addition to Professor Yuan Guoyong's wait-and-see attitude towards vaccines, the government expert consultant, Professor Xu Shuchang of the Department of Respiratory System of CUHK, also said that after vaccinating the new crown vaccine, it is still possible to contract the virus, but the severity and mortality risk are low. Leung Cheuk Wai, dean of the Faculty of Medicine of the University of Hong Kong, also pointed out that vaccination does not mean life-long immunity, and it is necessary to continue research and vaccination in the future. Moreover, nowadays, variant viruses have appeared all over the world, causing panic. Therefore, in addition to caring about vaccines, everyone should not forget to strengthen internal and external self-prevention work and continue to fight against the virus.
Regardless of whether you choose to accept or not to receive vaccination, and which vaccine you receive in the end, everyone must continue to do a good job in personal epidemic prevention, pay attention to personal living habits, maintain a healthy diet, strengthen exercise appropriately, and enhance your own immunity. At the same time, you can also choose additional supplements, such as taking Immune Revival to enhance the overall immune system, or taking NMN and NAD+ supplements to restore young body functions. Only by strengthening protection internally and externally, we can better stay away from the virus and maintain a healthy and long life.